About Me

My photo
What do you really want out of life? Now what's stopping you?

Monday, April 17, 2006

Defining 'full'

John Maxwell in his book “Today Matters” questions how we define success. To quote him:-

‘Take today, for example. How would you rate it? So far has it been a great day?…would you even know how to score it’

His premise is that successful people live out daily decisions by which they can measure their success. These daily achievements add up over time to a lifetime of success.

So how do you define a “full life” or a life lived at the “maximum”? Honestly, I’m not sure. Is it something you do looking back on one’s life; or is it a daily measure of fullness lived in the present moment? Personally, I am tending towards the concept of daily living it out, mainly because we live in a present that aims to a future and not in the past. But what should we use to quantify it? I guess part of my reason for wanting to know stems from my character profile of an analyst. If I know the hows and whys then I should be able to produce the results. Not always true; I know how to pick locks, but I’m not very good at it. Is life measured like a glass-if something is always running over the top then it’s full? But then what size glass? Many questions. If you have any ideas, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's about living each day as it comes and trying to make sure that as far as possible, you've added flavour to people's lives. That in itself is a challenge as often I probably end up flavouring situations negatively rather than positively.