About Me

My photo
What do you really want out of life? Now what's stopping you?

Friday, November 17, 2006

Grief

Handed in the papers for my mum’s estate yesterday; brought a whole fresh wave of emotion. I wish I could say that I knew how to deal with it, but I don’t. There are just some things for which I do not have answers. There have been multiple books written on the topic, some are even worth reading (C.S. Lewis’s ‘The Problem of Pain’ and ‘A Grief Observed’ are two that I would recommend), but none can really prepare you fully for the actual moment of anguish and loss. Understanding the stages of grief does not lessen the fact that you will still go though them, maybe a bit faster, but still through them. Doesn’t sound fair, but then that’s life. As M Scott Peck observed, people expect life to be fair and are surprised when it’s not. We live in an imperfect world and pain and suffering are inherent to it. Does that ease the pain? Probably not, but at least you have an idea of what to expect.

grief life Lewis

No comments: