About Me

My photo
What do you really want out of life? Now what's stopping you?

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Defining Moments

Yesterday I finally made a decision I have been wrestling with for some time. I gave up ballroom dancing. There are multiple factors at play; the primary one being that I just do not feel that it is producing any lasting results in my life and the lives of others, and that I could make better use of the time. Sometimes pruning is necessary for growth. It has been a hard choice. I have just closed the door on three years of competition. It will mean changes in relationships and friendships I have developed as a result. It is entirely possible that this will be a seasonal break, we shall see. It is an interesting time.

The reactions of people have been varied. So many people have come to define me by my dancing that it is hard for them to see me in any other light. I can’t let the definitions of others define my life and values-that has to come from me, and God. In a recent post, Dr John Stanko mentioned coming up with defining values for your life. It got me thinking about my own. I suppose I had never really paid much attention to them. The premise is that if you understand what your values are, you will plan your life around what is important to you. When you are doing what is important to you, you will be fulfilled.
So here is the beginning of my list:

I am a learner
I am a worshipper
I am faithful and loyal
I am a team player
I am a teacher
I am a man of prayer
I am an encourager
I am a good steward of what is given me

It is by no means complete and I will add and expand on it in the next week. I encourage you to start your own.

ballroom
values
personal development

No comments: