About Me

My photo
What do you really want out of life? Now what's stopping you?

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Whose comfort?

New experiment…been asking people what they think if I get an earring. The results have been wide ranging from-‘can do it for you now’ to a stereotypical ‘well just move to Cape Town’(with homosexual overtones). In general the responses have been fairly negative. On further probing, most people have no rational reason for their reasons, apart for the fact that it offends their idea of what a men should look like. Moreover, most responses have not been for my benefit (e.g. have you considered the pain, or I don’t think you suit it) but rather theirs, because they are uncomfortable with the idea. Made me reflect on my own words and ask myself if I have ever limited someone’s dreams because what they wanted to do did not fit with my idea of what they should be like.

No comments: